Matt,

I think that you will have to packetize your data for DX--meaning if you want to visualize data as it streams in, you will need to have a way to break it into meaningful complete data chunks and visualize as each piece arrives. The data model does not have support directly for partial object visualization.

For example, if you have a large set of data on a recti-linear grid (5000 x 5000) to be visualized, and the stream of data is sent a block at a time, (500 x 500) in 100 chunks, then you could make each 500 x 500 block a single object that could then be collected as either series data or a multi-grid that could then be visualized.

David

Hello,

Would like to ask if anyone has used OpenDX with inbound streamed data. In other words, most examples seem to show OpenDX providing visualizations for complete datasets that are already imported. In contrast, I'd like to visualize data as it arrives into DX. Obviously there needs to be some sort of refresh mechanism to update the visualizations based on the new data since the last refresh. However, I'm just looking to understand how this can be implemented. Can objects (fields, arrays) be visualized while data is still arriving? From the VPE perspective, I'm a little unsure how this would be implemented, given the associated C routine is not supposed to have a notion of state. However, I'm not bent right now on which interface to use (VPE, callm, etc.). I just want to understand the method by which this can be accomplished, if at all. Hopefully, it can be.

Thanks,

Matt Genovese
University of Texas at Austin

David L. Thompson                   Visualization and Imagery Solutions, Inc.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    5515 Skyway Drive, Missoula, MT 59804
                                    Phone : (406)756-7472