>I'd like to be able to view the grid of each of the six bounding
>surfaces separately.  Is there a good way to map a data value on to each
>quad from ShowBoundary that is the surface number (index 0-5) of the
>cube from whence it came?
>
>Thanks,
>Ned Piburn

Hmm interesting problem but I don't see a direct, i.e. clever, answer.
There is no face index in the DX data model that is generated as part of
the cube element type. I suspect you will simply have to use a macro that
iterates over each element and "bursts" the cubes into quads. It sounds
dreadful and depending on the total number of cubes, it probably IS
dreadful, though it would work. I would involve Marking the connections,
then doing things to the integer vector; also you will need to use GetLocal
and SetLocal and List to build a new list of vectors which will become the
new connections array, then probably Replace to stuff the new array back
into a copy of the original field as the new connections.

Does your object change frequently? Did you manufacture it yourself,
algorithmically? If not the former, then a one-time processing by such a
macro, followed by Export, then in your vis net, Import the new object
might be simplest (but slow due to the iteration). If the latter, generate
both cube and quad topology as you make the object since you know which
vertices are to be connected and you can build a corresponding index data
array right then and there, then assuming you start with the cubes as the
connections, in the net, Mark ("quads") and Unmark them as ("connections")
to switch. (I >THINK< this will work, but sometimes such massive
restructurings fail for obscure reasons within the DX exec; some dependency
attribute gets out of synch and may or may not be fixable within the DX UI
at the user level, vs. at the level of a custom module). You can always
create two different but coincident objects, then using Selector-Route turn
on-off either one for viewing.

If the object changes frequently, you might consider writing a custom
module to do this job on the fly.

By the way, though it doesn't address your problem, you might also have fun
with the Isolate module... check it out. If each cube has a unique data
value, Isolate would show you the cubes slightly shrunken away from each
other. Maybe that's what you actually want anyway, though I read it as you
want unique face "data" and "colors".

Chris Pelkie
Vice President/Scientific Visualization Producer
Conceptual Reality Presentations, Inc.
30 West Meadow Drive
Ithaca, NY 14850
[EMAIL PROTECTED]