the problem seemed to be that there was more than one meshed region. by
increasing the radius in autogrid to 1 I got a single meshed surface and the
problem was solved.
apparently isosurface is not happy with a set that consists of more than one
region. is there a way to connect sets or is increasing the radius in
autogrid the only solution to this problem.

thomas