> o When submitting this patches as RFC to the arm kernel ml we should
>   also ask about how we should handle the different phones with regards
>   to the machine registry. I would prefer to discuss this with some
>   code in the back instead of a theoretical discussion.

I have had a quick look at the patch and it seems like they all share
one machine type?  This is bad.

As far as I know, the motorola bootloader doesn't set the machine type
in the register (r7?) correctly before jumping into the kernel.

I personally believe that every hardware model should have its own
machine type, and the kernel should just do 'as usual'.

At some point we might have our own bootloader on the devices, at which
we can do this 'correctly', i.e. specify the machine type from the
bootloader.

Until we get there, I propose either:

1) some kind of object code snippet that we can put between bootloader
   and kernel (sounds ugly)
2) some ugly local (non-mainline) patch that modifies head.S (like now),
   but with the difference that it is somehow user-configurable which
   machine type should be hard-coded into head.S

Comments?
--
- Harald Welte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                      http://gnumonks.org/
                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)