Liam R E Quin wrote:
Yes. Instead of giving you digital files with limited usage controlled
by software, they don't let you have the file at all.

"At least we don't have to wear leg-irons when we walk outside"
"Right, they solved that by keeping us indoors"

totally true and a great point, and as kottke points out in a quick report (http://www.kottke.org/09/05/typekit-real-fonts-for-the-web), that's pretty darn close to the Youtube model.

some relevant differences regarding online type, though:

* support for embedding the fonts is already mostly there, whereas support for embedded video in HTML took quite some time after Youtube et al did it with Flash

* libre video hosting facilities, likewise, took some time to appear; with OFL, there's already some headway (OFL is there, Typekit is vaporware so far)

* fonts are much less an active element of an online experience -- i'll happily watch 10 videos on Youtube, forward them to my friends and forget about them the next day; online fonts aren't really the kind of subject you'd bring up at a party, or share with anyone other than a type designer or web developer.

* which reminds me -- with Typekit, you're not supposed to share, just watch a font being used in a page. So the OFL model has still a major selling point compared to TypeKit -- no dependency on 'upstream', ability to download and edit, FLOSS approach to filling out gaps (e.g. i doubt they'll support non-latin alphabets out from the start), and no financial compromise of any sort.

But the good side is that they're helping (perhaps) to fuel demand.

totally -- i usually try to convince people to switch to a free tool by mentioning 'it's does the stuff InIllusShop does, but it's free, open, transparent, scriptable, community-driven [...]'. Maybe having a proprietary tool to compare with might be a good thing for doing PR (much as the EOT page on the OFL wiki helps make a point regarding open fonts).

ricardo