Hey Andreas,

Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 17:42, Ryan Steele <ry...@aweber.com> wrote:
>> query returns nothing:
>>
>> ldapsearch -x -w SECRET -D "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" -b
>> "cn=testgroup,ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com" -LLL '(uid=user1)'
>

> This filter doesn't look right. Try
> "(member=uid=user1,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com)"
>
>> ldapsearch -x -w SECRET -D "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" -b "cn=testgroup
>> ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com" -LLL
>> dn: cn=testgroup,ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com
>> ou: Groups
>> cn: testgroup
>> objectClass: groupOfURLs
>> memberURL:
>> ldap:///ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com?uid?sub?(&(employeeType=Developer
>>  )(objectClass=exampleEmployee))
>> member: uid=user1,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com
>> member: uid=user2,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com
>> member: uid=user3,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com

Thanks for the advice - I think you're right about filtering on the 'member'
attribute.  However, doing so still returns
the entire list, not the individual member I'm filtering for.  E.g., the same
results as:

ldapsearch -x -w SECRET -D "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" -b
"cn=testgroup,ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com" -LLL '(member=*)'

At an even more basic level, something like this should work too, but it
returns nothing:

ldapsearch -x -w SECRET -D "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" -b
"cn=testgroup,ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com" -LLL member

I'm not quite sure how to explain this behavior, given the implications made in
the following two posts which indicate
that I should be able to use dynamically generated attributes as filter
expressions:

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200802/msg00211.html
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200812/msg00038.html

Also, in the earlier ITS filed for the autogroup contrib overlay, it states
that for searches and compares, it should
behave like a static group, bolstering that supposition:

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-bugs/200709/msg00128.html

So, should I be searching for a bug (which was the premise for the OP), or has
the behavior of autogroup changed since
its inception?

As always, many thanks for any and all advice!

Respectfully,
Ryan