On Nov 30, 2007 8:10 PM, W-Mark Kubacki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Series 3.x will be written in Python. As TurboGears [1] and Pylons [2] seem
> merge [3], the framework will be TurboGears, probably in version 2.x. If OMA
> remains open-source, it might be that ExtJS [4] will be the JS frontend -
> else I
> am inclined to Prototype/Scriptaculous [5].

Nice to hear the move to Python. Some colleagues and I are also moving
to Python, specifically with Pylons. Regarding your choices:

- We prefer Pylons over Django or TurboGears as we feel that the
latter force you too much on how to do things, while Pylons helps with
productivity but allows freedom in all terms. We really love the
ability to choose the right component for the right case. But I
understand that, given the specific development we are talking about
here, perhaps TurboGears is better suited. Django is not, definitely.

- ExtJS is awesome, but very heavy. So far we've been working with
Prototype only, although we are at present time evaluating
Scriptaculous and JQuery as well. Still, we have not yet evaluated
version 2.0 of ExtJS, so we may change our mind regarding it.

>   What about a free but closed-source version for the masses and an
> open-source
> one for participants/sympathizer?

If I could vote, I'd say keep it open-sourced. You will still be the
main developer and the person to go for help and support, commercially
speaking too, when the time arrives. Still, if you'd rather go
closed-source, I would understand and hope you the best :)

I've been wishing to participate in this project since the moment we
first exchanged mails, Mark, but things in life do not go as planned
always and I have been unable to find the time or commitment to do so.
I've just changed work and we are at present time evaluating a
solution of this time for a project we are going to work with. A guy
that worked for the company already developed a similar one, custom
made, in Ruby on Rails, and my boss wants to keep it to keep the
customer happy. If I can convince him of the opposite, I plan to
finally have the ability to put someone in my company (I am second in
command) to help in it (what I wanted to do, but won't be myself).
Just considerations so far. Do not think of them when taking decisions
:)

--
Jaume Sabater
http://linuxsilo.net/