Freddie Chopin wrote:
> another solution would be to create a "general" cfg file and small
> dedicated cfg files for every STM32 device available (currently 89) -
> these would use (include) the "general" cfg.

I was considering this too. I strongly prefer a single file for the
entire family if possible, but it should not cost very much, if any,
performance.

> The structure of the target folder could be changed to
> target
>       - st
>               - stm32
>                       stm32f103rb.cfg
>                       stm32f105v8.cfg
>               - str7
>                       str710.cfg
>                       str711.cfg
>               - str9
>       - nxp
>               - lpc17xx
>               - lpc2xxx
> and so on.

Too many levels IMO. Just put stm32, str7, str9 directly under
target. I don't know the ST parts, but I like NXP a lot and I've
started looking at the TI LM3S (I think we should rename the files
from stellaris) which also look nice. Have a look at stellaris.cfg,
which seems to be generic for that family.

> I think that would improve the "OpenOCD experience" for the users...

Yes and no. I think that it's really nice to only need to specify the
family of chips that you're working with.

> It's still not very user-friendly );

Also yes and no. A typical openocd.cfg should just pull in some
existing files from tcl/ but there are a lot of bad examples which
confuse things, by copypasting everything into openocd.cfg instead of
sourcing the distributed cfg files.

If there isn't one already then I think an example on the web would
go a long way. Do we have a wiki?

//Peter