Hi all,

I'm using OpenOCD (version 0.4.0, downloaded from SourceForge and built about half an hour ago) on Debian Lenny (5.0, stable) running under VMWare Fusion on an x86 Mac Pro. The microcontroller I'm using is an STM32F103C6T6, and the JTAG dongle is an Amontec JTAGKey. By and large it works: I can program the flash, halt, use gdb, all the things I'd expect from OpenOCD.

But there's a way of breaking it semi-permanently. The application on the STM32 is one which spends most of its time with the CPU in Stop mode, waking up periodically (about every 12ms) via an RTC interrupt to do some processing. If I attempt to start OpenOCD while the microcontroller is stopping and running like this, I get messages which say,

Warn : Timeout (1000ms) waiting for ACK=OK/FAULT in JTAG-DP transaction

and OpenOCD just won't work, though it finds the TAPs correctly so the JTAG hardware is clearly working to some extent.

The whole JTAG system appears to be then stuck in this state. Restarting OpenOCD, doing a hardware system reset on the microcontroller, unplugging everything including the JTAG dongle and its USB interface, all make no difference. I've even tried exercising the JTAG port using another application (XJTAG) though this only does boundary scan testing and doesn't play with the ARM debug TAP. Though boundary scan works fine.

The only thing which fixes the problem is power-cycling the STM32 chip itself. I note from its documentation and the ARM Cortex-M3 TRM that some parts of the core debug unit are only reset at power up, not in response to a system reset. The device has no TRST pin.

However, this board is going to be permanently moulded into a plastic lump with a battery, so power cycling it is *not* an option.

Am I stuck? Or is there a way of finding out how the Cortex-M3 debug unit is wedged, if that's the case, and tickling it back to life?

Thank you
Chris
--
Chris Jones - ch...@martin-jones.com