On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:59 AM, David Brownell <davi...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> I think caring about the "variant" should strongly
> be avoided.  Use the ROM table by default.  Only in
> the case of a broken ROM table should we (a) emit
> a message, then (b) work around the brokenness.
> Such working-around might care about variant, if wecan't
>come up with a simple heuristic fix.

It would be great if we could detect the one broken chip
out there and simply add a workaround(with warning).

I'd suppose such bugs would be much less common with
more recent Cortex A8 chips.

Adding options is the last resort as it makes OpenOCD harder
to use and gives it a more unfinished feeling. This is open source.
If there is a chance that we might need to add support for a new
CPU in the future, then we don't add some option in the hope that
it can work around the next bug, we just add the workaround when
and if that time comes.

--
Øyvind Harboe
US toll free 1-866-980-3434 / International +47 51 63 25 00