Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:
On 08:42 Thu 09 Jun     , Laurent Gauch wrote:
On 15:25 Tue 07 Jun     , Laurent Gauch wrote:
/ >
/>/ >/If our ft2232.c patches are not merged quickly, Amontec Team will
certainly
/>/ >/>/ come with a new specific jtagkey.c API driver  instead of the ft2232.c
JTAG
/>/ >/>/ driver.
/>/ >/>/ The advantage with a specific Amontec JTAGkey API driver in openocd,
will be
/>/ >/>/ to see our patches merged in the minute, instead to wait 1 to 2 months
/>/ >/>/ also the ft2232.c will still be usable for the JTAGkey.
/>/ >/
/>/ >This is the solution, you will have your own driver to manage then :-)
/>/ >But you will then create another DRIVER not API as the interface API
/>/ >is already set :-)
/>/ Yes, a specific jtagkey driver with a wrapper for the existing
/>/ openocd API ! Yes, that's the idea.
/>/ The user will be able to use the classic ft2232.c or the specific
/>/ jtagkey.c as a jlink.c!
/>/ Maybe that's the road to follow if our patches take so long time to
/>/ be merged on ft2232.c.
/except on jlink we have a 100% different API
All specific dongle interface (DRIVER) are based on the same API
(known as JTAG API).
API -> DRIVER -> DONGLE
my key point the Amontec are based on ft2232 the jlink on the sam7
they do have 100% different API to deal with the chip/firmware
Maybe we do not talk the same when we talk API and Driver.

Segger JLINK are based on sam7 and Amontec JTAGkey on ft2232 (for now). Yes.
Both dongles have different DRIVERs. Yes.
Both DRIVERs are controlled by the same JTAG API, in OpenOCD.

The JTAG API and the specific DRIVERS are a HAL construction (Hardware Abstraction Layer).

so as a Maintainer I NACK duplicate code
as there is no good reason to do so
exception for short term such a cleanup in progress or code refactoring
Yes, you're right.
But I never said, jtagkey.c will be a code duplication of ft2232.c.
but your proposal is not this as at all, it's to do it on long therm which
is not acceptable
That's why we still provide amelioration ideas and patches for ft2232.c.
Best Regards,
J.
Laurent
http://www.amontec.com/jtagkey.shtml