Hi,
I'm working with an LPC2388 (arm7tdmi-s core). I use the "IDLE" power mode
to stop the arm core to reduce power consumption. All IT and peripheral are
still ON in this mode, only the arm core is sleeping.

I the software running on the CPU doesn't use the power reduction mode (arm
core is still ON in this case) then I have no problem with the jtag. The
problem seams to be related only to the power mode.

Whatever the openocd command I use (reset, halt, soft_reset_halt, resume
0x00) openocd error is like :
"Halt timed out, wake up GDB.
timed out while waiting for target halted
in procedure 'halt'"

If I try to directly write to the CPU register to disable the IDLE mode, i
get  (a normal error message):
"Target not halted"
So I can not disable the IDLE mode with my jtag.

I have to use the CPU integrated bootloader to reload a software with no
IDLE mode through the RS232 link before I can use my Jtag again.

I've seen other messages related to this point on the ML but has anyone
found a solution to this problem ?

Regards,
--
Luc
Try to reduce the JTAG frequency or use a JTAGkey-2 with RTCK feature enabled since you have a ARM -s (arm7tdmi-s core).

The RTCK will help to have your JTAG interface synchronized with the target frequency.

Regards,
Laurent Gauch
http://www.amontec.com/jtagkey.shtml