On Wed, Dec 03, 2003, Dennis McRitchie wrote:
>What is the RBL patch, and what are the consequences of not having it? Where
>can I get more information about it?

The RBL patch allows one to specify dnsRBLs (Realtime Blackhole Lists) in
the /etc/hosts.allow file.  We used this extensively with smail-3.2 to
block spam.  Some entries from one of our servers:

# this one allows anybody in our white hat list
ALL: {RBL}.whl.celestial.net. : ALLOW
# deny from our local database of people who've tried cracking
# or abusing our ftp servers.
ALL: {RBL}.guardian.celestial.net. : DENY
sendmail,smtpd: {RBL}.dynablock.wirehub.net. : DENY
sendmail,smtpd: {RBL}.sbl.spamhaus.org. : DENY

Personally I find the RBL capabilities one of the most useful
features of tcp_wrappers.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

``The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will go to the stars...''
    -Dr. Isaac Asimov
Developer Communication List                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]