On Mon, Jun 04, 2007, Anders F Björklund wrote:

>  Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>
> > It should be:
> >
> >    concise system product:          Mac OS X 10
> >    regular system product:          Mac OS X 10.3
> >    verbose system product:          Apple Mac OS X 10.3.9
> >
> > And the technology should be:
> >
> >    concise system technology:       Darwin 7
> >    regular system technology:       Darwin 7.9
> >    verbose system technology:       Apple Darwin 7.9.0
> >
> > So, the truncation was still incorrect. Hell, it is rather complicated
> > to get it right when one has to do it blindly. Find attached one more
> > version where I now also tried to fix the truncation.
>
>  Works as intended.
>
>  concise system product:          Mac OS X 10
>  regular system product:          Mac OS X 10.3
>  verbose system product:          Apple Mac OS X 10.3.9
>  concise system technology:       Darwin 7
>  regular system technology:       Darwin 7.9
>  verbose system technology:       Apple Darwin 7.9.0
>
>  Good blind flying!
>
> >>  Just an idea/suggestion, truncating to 10 is too much...
> >
> > Really? Keep in mind that it would be reduced to 10 just for the
> > _concise_ format which is extremely truncated for mostly all platforms.
>
>  Well, it depends on whether you want the version to say anything
>  or if it should just say number "10" for OS "X" or something... :-)
>
>  But Mac OS X 10.3 == Darwin 7, so "Mac OS X 10" would equal "Darwin".
>  (as opposed to for instance Mac OS X Server 1.x which was "Rhapsody")

Ok, you conviced me. For Mac OS X it certainly makes sense to keep
10.x even in the concise output. Now committed this way to the OSSP
CVS for inclusion in the next GNU shtool version and a snapshot is now
also committed to the OpenPKG bootstrap package. Thanks for your great
support.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com