"Ralf S. Engelschall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007, Kolab Konsortium via Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>   Log:
>>     Run libtoolize if you rebuild the configure system. See
>>     http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/23449. This allows
>>     to build gd on a recent gentoo system.
>> [...]
>>        %{l_shtool} subst -e 's;-LNONE;;' Makefile
>>   +    libtoolize --copy --force
>>        %{l_make} %{l_mflags}
>>        %{l_shtool} subst -e 's;/usr/bin/perl;%{l_prefix}/bin/perl;' bdftogd
>
> Hmmm...
>
> 1. libtoolize is provided by the "libtool" package. If it is used, a
>    dependency to the "libtool" package has to added, too.

Right. Should be fixed.

> 2. running "libtoolize" _after_ running the "configure" script
>    seems to be wrong and technically useless to me. If the libtool
>    files really are out of sync and a "libtoolize" run should be
>    required, it IMHO has to be done _before_ running "configure".
>
> 3. The above URL shows a discussion which tells that the generated
>    files can be go out of sync if just "autoconf" is run. But the
>    OpenPKG "gd" package does not run "autoconf" and it also doesn't
>    patch "autoconf" input files (and so "autoconf" should be also not
>    run implicitly). So how should the files gone out of sync here?

This is the output when I try to install the old gd package:

+ /kolab/lib/openpkg/shtool subst -e 's;-LNONE;;' Makefile
shtool:subst:Warning: substitution resulted in no content change on file
"Makefile"
+ /kolab/bin/make --no-print-directory
cd . && /bin/sh /kolab/RPM/TMP/gd-2.0.35/config/missing --run aclocal-1.9 -I
config
 cd . && /bin/sh /kolab/RPM/TMP/gd-2.0.35/config/missing --run automake-1.9
--foreign
cd . && /bin/sh /kolab/RPM/TMP/gd-2.0.35/config/missing --run autoconf
/bin/sh ./config.status --recheck
running CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/sh /bin/sh ./configure  --cache-file=./config.cache
--prefix=/kolab --without-x --without-xpm --with-png=/kolab --with-jpeg=/kolab
--with-freetype=/kolab --disable-shared CC=/kolab/bin/cc CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe
LDFLAGS=-L/kolab/li

checking for strip... (cached) strip
checking for correct ltmain.sh version... no
configure: error:

*** [Gentoo] sanity check failed! ***
*** libtool.m4 and ltmain.sh have a version mismatch! ***
*** (libtool.m4 = 1.5.24, ltmain.sh = 1.5.22) ***

Please run:

  libtoolize --copy --force

if appropriate, please contact the maintainer of this
package (or your distribution) for help.

Basically the line

      %{l_make} %{l_mflags}

runs the problematic calls.

I did not go and check this error in depth to be honest. The
explanation given by Mike Frysinger seemed logical and fixed the issue
when building on Gentoo. I also checked that it did not disturb the
build on any of the other test machines ([rv]m[0-9]*).

So maybe the fix is incorrect but it definitely does not build on
OpenPKG/Gentoo :)

Cheers,

Gunnar