On Thu, Nov 06, 2008, Torsten Homeyer wrote:

> Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>
> > AFAIK the system's "ncurses-dev" _always_ was a hard requirement for
> > OpenPKG to get the necessary termcap/termlib stuff under _Linux_.
>
> So what?
> My understanding is, that OpenPKG is as self contained as possible.

The understanding is correct, Torsten.

> And I see no problem for the python package to require OpenPKG-ncurses
> for readline functionality.

For the particular "python" package the requirement might be ok. I spoke
about the _general_ requirement for the system "ncurses-dev" package to
be installed under Linux.

> I'm really sure, that I don't want to install the OS vendor package
> for this. Whats wrong on this view?

Nothing is wrong here. Fact is just that OpenPKG requires "ncurses-dev"
anyway under Linux, so I thought it should not hurt you for "python",
too.

I see that the "python" package has a "with_curses" option, too. Would
using this already solve your problem or do we first have to patch
Python to correctly find OpenPKG's "ncurses" and solve your problem?

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com

OpenPKG                                             http://openpkg.org