On Tue, Nov 29, 2005, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 29, 2005, David M. Fetter wrote:
>
>> I may have missed something at some point, but if it's information of
>> how many servers we have openpkg installed on, why can't we just fill
>> out an online form?  I would be more than happy to do that.
>
>Yes, David, I know that you and some others would be happy to do that
>and you used the OpenPKG Community Feedback in the past for this.
>Unfortunately after even 5 years we just received about 30 feedbacks in
>total although we asked multiple times to give feedback and tell if one
>is an OpenPKG user. Before and after every release we explicitly involve
>our users and ask for their feedback. The results you know: mostly no
>feedback.

No feedback could mean that you're doing a perfect job :-).

On the other hand, I think that a good bit of feedback comes
through this and the developer's mailing lists, at least that's
where I generally post comments and fixes that I've found over
the years.

>Yes, I'm very sorry that we broke at least the RSYNC part. This was
>certainly our fault because we entirely focused on FTP. There we even
>made sure that the "openpkg build" tool still runs seamlessly despite
>the required login. It was not our intention to easily break existing
>things. We really tried to minimize the impact.
>
>As you know, the registration was even pre-announced inside the
>OpenPKG Foundation about 2 weeks ago for testing purposes and just two
>Foundation members responded at all (one of them were you AFAIK ;-).
>Nobody else really cared very much.

One factor may have been that there was a major U.S. holiday last
week.  This and some deadlines I'm working on have limited the
amount of time I have to deal with things that aren't on our own
critical path.

>I personally think that the free of charge one-time registration should
>be no problem at all for any serious OpenPKG user. Also keep in mind
>that we intentionally do not restrict the current OpenPKG-2.5-RELEASE
>because everyone should be able to evaluate and easily start with
>OpenPKG and just has to register if he wants security updates, older
>RELEASEs or bleeding-edge OpenPKG-CURRENT.

I don't have a problem with registration, but do have a major
problem when the rsync access breaks as, like David, my daily
mirror scripts use ``--delete'' to eliminate old packages
automatically.  Fortunately for us, we maintain a parallel
directory structure that has copies of our mirror directories as
well as our own packages, and localized versions of the standard
packages where our needs are different than the main stream.

Bill

``Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity'' --
    Dennis Ritchie