I recently used this tutorial to import some USGS terrain into a few of my
OSGrid regions: http://www.virtualwhite.com/?p=100
The process worked fairly well but I had some difficulty making a usable
region as the scale I used was probably too small and the terrain was too
coarse, but it does provide a nice scenery when viewed from nearby regions.
I used the big island of Hawaii in one region and Santa Catalina in 2
regions; in order to make a usable terrain I would probably have to stretch
them across many regions. Another problem I had was scaling in the vertical
axis; in order to make a somewhat believable horizon and also match the
seams with the undersea levels of the neighboring regions, I had to adjust
the grayscale levels of the terrain images with a curve function in
Photoshop. I did this by eye and did not attempt to make an accurate scale
representation but rather a visually similar horizon. I'm not really happy
with the results but I suspect one could achieve much better by further
experiments with scaling.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 7:14 AM, Dave Coyle
<coyle+open...@knifejaw.com<coyle%2bopen...@knifejaw.com>