Hurliman, John wrote:
> Thank you for taking a look. Looks like I all of the "ExtraData" for prims,
> including sculpt/particles/flexi/etc. I'll see what OpenSim is doing for
> saving script state and add everything in a second pass. I'm hoping that this
> particular format captures everything needed to save simulator state to disk
> for OpenSim and load it back up, while being easy to create and parse by
> third party tools. Additional formats could be made later for more specific
> tasks such as saving assets offline (where things like InventorySerial
> definitely wouldn't matter).
>
> There could be a couple of different approaches to distinguishing between
> different content types. OAR loading is already doing this for terrain with a
> switch statement on the file extension. That works until two separate formats
> both decide to use the .prim or .xml extensions. Another possibility would be
> to require that all object serializations use the same format so a MIME type
> could be read from metadata embedded in the file. Using the OAR index file to
> store a list of filenames and content types could also work. This breaks some
> of the nice things about OAR files though, such as opening one up in a file
> viewer and dropping some content in without using special tools.

Yeah, being able to drop content in with existing tools or produce archives
from scratch was one of the attempted aims
with OAR, so inserting extra information in an index wouldn't be an enjoyable
solution.

I guess using the terrain extension for identification isn't too bad as long as
the format is centered around OpenSim
(I'm not sure how far beyond that one can go since it is a mongrel format).
But I can definitely see the problem with
different object serializations, if such a thing comes about (as opposed to
extensions to a single object serialization).

Inserting mime type metadata in files is a solution that sounds good to me.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey