Definitely +1. However, here's a thought:

Could we not try to take this as a starting point for moving the
localID to UUID conversion into the client view, e.g. make it a
List<UUID> and translate LocalID to UUID before the call. I believe
we should work on getting LocalID out of core, it's a Linden concept
other viewers probably won't have. Having just ONE type of ID (the
UUID) would make implementing other client stacks easier.

Melanie