One connected functionality here, is script engine events.   These are
all done via localID.     Additionally, physics collision events are
generated with 'localid' because most physics engines either have a
sequential numeric id for objects or have a means to store them.    It
may not have a bearing on the derez event, however, I wanted to
mention them since 'moving localID out of core' was brought up.
It's not really a Linden concept really..     it's a Havok concept
that they adopted.

Regards

Teravus