Dear devs,

I'm pulling my hair here with the serialization of scene objects. This is horrible! Using .Net serialization for something as important as this is the worst idea ever. We're completely frozen. I'm trying to add an additional field for the creator info, and I'm stuck in all sorts of ways: I can't compute the value of that field at serialization-time, and then there are the issues of compatibility with previous versions of the SOP class.

I'd like to understand all the implications of doing an entirely different serialization procedure, one that does not use reflection, and that allows for processing-during-serialization. What will break, and therefore needs fixing?

I understand all archiving related to previous versions will break, so we need to keep supporting the existing serialization 'disease' for the foreseeable future. I also understand that TPs/crossings between sims that talk different SOG serializations will break, but that's not so bad.

Anything else I should be aware of before I go off and redo this?

Diva / Crista