Peter Gutmann schrieb:

> Dr Stephen Henson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >Historically OpenSSL has used the MASM ("ml") assembler for Win32 which
> >is rather expensive and tricky to obtain: I don't have it for example.
>
> Actually you already have it, and it's free (well, free if you have the Win95
> DDK, which comes with MSDN, which every Windows developer seems to end up with
> by default).  Because MASM 6.11 couldn't generate VxD's, MS shipped a hacked
> version with the DDK which is buried somewhere n levels deep in a
> subdirectory.  Just run it with the /coff argument and it'll produce output
> which works fine for NT.

Since WIN* always seems to be a problematic issue I suggest the
following:
1.) Assume the user isn't a developer. Probably he only needs
    a set of DLLs and an exe file. So can we distribute
    *released* versions as binaries for WIN* (not SNAP versions)
    Perhaps we need to think about which ciphers should be in
    (think of IDEA, RSA, RC* - BTW is there an RSAref for WIN as
    well?)
    This point will for sure make 90% of the people happy (especially
    the ones that want to have eg. Apache with mod_ssl)
2.) The user is a developer.
2a.)  He has MASM. Perhaps he don't want to install another assembler.
2b.)  He hasn't MASM installed.
    Is it possible to deliver consistent versions of MASM/NASM files?
    Or should we just develop two separate versions. This seems
    acceptable since these asm parts are quite stable to my mind.

--
Holger Reif                  Tel.: +49 361 74707-0
SmartRing GmbH               Fax.: +49 361 7470720