Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

> From: Jean-Marc Desperrier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Note that since the short name UID exists in both "camps" and OpenSSL
> is somewhere in the middle, there's a definite conflict of interest
> here.  However, most people I've talked with consider UID to be
> deprecated in the X.500 world, so perhaps it's not such a problem any
> more.  Thoughts on this?

The little research I've done not make me an expert on this at all, but gave me the
feeling that
not many people in the X500 world really use the UID abreviation for unique
identifier, but that
the UID abreviation for user identifier is definitively frequent.

Deprecating the use of uid in openssl seems to me the best thing to do, changing it to
designate
user id instead of unique identifier should _not_ be done, because that would mean that
recompiling applications with a newer version of openssl would have unexpected,
transparent
changes everywhere the string "uid" is used, in a call to OBJ_txt2nid for example.