From: Oscar Jacobsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

oscar> I still claim the easiest way to solve this is by adding a new
oscar> parameter specifically for string encodings. Objects for which
oscar> there were no such parameter given would simply use the dotted
oscar> decimal, which would still be legal.

I hear you, but have you considered how the RDN or the extension "UID"
given in openssl.cnf should be treated?  Which OID should be used, the
X.500 uniqueIdentifier one or the LDAP UserIdentifier one?  Or should
we extend the syntax of the configuration file to allow the declarations
of worlds, so the user can declare if the X.500 or the LDAP world
should be used by default?  And then, should we invent a syntax for
some kind of escape into the other world (something ghost-like? :-))?

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.