When I looked at the AES API, it looked like there was no way to
specify a block size independently of the key size.  Is that
intentional?

Additionally, with respect to counter mode, it might be best to
implement external to the EVP proper interface, just like HMAC.  There
are a few issues I see that make counter mode a bit different from
other modes:

1) You should be able to insert your own function for choosing a
stream of counters.  They don't have to be simple incrementing
counters.

2) Counter mode can be used in a random-access manner.  For example,
if you encrypt a file with counter mode, you can then access the
blocks of that file independently, as long as you know the counter
value.

John