Thus spake John Viega:

> Additionally, with respect to counter mode, it might be best to
> implement external to the EVP proper interface, just like HMAC.  There
> are a few issues I see that make counter mode a bit different from
> other modes:
>
> 1) You should be able to insert your own function for choosing a
> stream of counters.  They don't have to be simple incrementing
> counters.

The CTR mode proposal to NIST specifies starting a 1 and doing a
simple increment.  Unless other counter types are provably more
secure, I prefer not to foster incompatible implementations.

> 2) Counter mode can be used in a random-access manner.  For example,
> if you encrypt a file with counter mode, you can then access the
> blocks of that file independently, as long as you know the counter
> value.

Good point.  If you set the counter manually (instead of starting at
0), this should work properly.  Were you looking for a more elegant
way of doing this, or is my API broken?

Stephen Sprunk          "So long as they don't get violent, I want to
CCIE #3723         let everyone say what they wish, for I myself have
K5SSS        always said exactly what pleased me."  --Albert Einstein