> > So, I need to know the process of integration of new cipher to Crypto
> > library.
> > I've tried to place the directory with new cipher (aes) inside of the
crypto
> > directory,
> > modified root Makefile.ssl and crypto/Makefile.ssl however it seems that
it
> > is not enough -
> > new codec does not appear in the list of supported codecs of openvpn
> > executable.
>
> Ask the author, James Yonan, he is around on this list.
> And with him around asking about EVP-problems I am would guess that
> he already nailed down the problem with 0.9.7.

OpenVPN uses the cipher-independent EVP layer of OpenSSL as an interface to
the symmetric cipher algorithms.  In the current 0.9.7 snapshot, the EVP API
has been modified so it is incompatible with 0.9.6 -- this is probably the
cause of the crash.  I had the same result when I tried to test OpenVPN with
0.9.7 and AES-256.  I know there's some discussion going on about fixing
this, so the EVP API stays compatible.

If you need something right now, I have a simple patch for 0.9.7 which will
restore the 0.9.6 EVP behavior.  When I applied this patch, OpenVPN ran fine
with 0.9.7 and the AES-256 cipher.

James Yonan
OpenVPN developer
http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/