Different solutions have been proposed and I am not sure whether the
currently checked in version will finally work.
I am not sure for how long -dumpversion was supported (at least since
1994 as was reported) and I strongly consider to use -dumpversion.
Richard: you seem to have a beta version of 3.1.1 around. Will its
output for -dumpversion somehow fit into the model?

Best regards,
        Lutz