I agree that simply using -dumpversion makes more sense, on the
assumption that it will always only output the number.
"--version" appears to be intended to be human-readable, not
machine-readable, and its format may change at any time, as it
just did.  Why keep adding sed commands that say, "oh, and if
it has this in front of it, get rid of that, too"?  It might just
break again with the next gcc version.

Having said that, I think I'll bow out of the discussion.  I'm
just an end-user, and may never have to install it again.

-Allen