> Current version,
> openssl-0.9.7, does not support shared libraries on AIX platform.

To <openssl-dev> mainly. How come did do_aix-shared deserve so special
treatment? I mean SHAREDFLAGS being hardcoded directly in Makefile.org?
Just wondering...

> I am sending you the changes
> which allow to generate shared libraries for some cc compilers on AIX, namely,
>"aix-cc"

What's the idea behind "aix-cc?" It's a safety net for out-of-date AIX
releases, which noone cared to test for a long time and probably never
will. If you just tested both aix-cc and aix43-cc on the same machine,
then we should refrain from modifying the aix-cc. Alternative is to
rename aix-cc to aix-old-cc and aix43-cc to aix-cc and leave aix-old-cc
alone...

> and "aix43-cc".

Could you test following? In a tree with proposed patch applied! Open
Makefile.ssl with text editor, seek to do_aix-shared rule, modify
"SHAREDFLAGS=${SHARED_LDFLAGS} -G -bE:lib$$i.exp -bM:SRE" above the rule
as "SHAREDFLAGS=${SHARED_LDFLAGS} -G -bautoexp -bM:SRE". Finaly 'make
clean' and 'make'. Does it build? I want to see if it's possible to get
rid of that extra step which generates .exp file...

> These changes are not made for "aix64-cc",

But do you have acces to an AIX workstation which supports 64-bit ABI? I
mean in case an alternative line is proposed will you be able to test
it? Do you know if AIX cc supports inline assembler?

A.