> rt> > rt> To <openssl-dev> mainly. How come did do_aix-shared deserve so special
> rt> > rt> treatment? I mean SHAREDFLAGS being hardcoded directly in Makefile.org?
> rt> > rt> Just wondering...
> rt> >
> rt> > Well, that one is an experiment.
> rt>
> rt> Then why AIX specific flags like -bnogc, -bE:lib$$i.exp, -bM:SRE?
>
> Because do_aix-shared was proposed for AIX (obvious from the name of
> the target, I thought).

My quote was probably misleading. Quoted statement proceeded as 'someone
suggested it for AIX "and everything else"' and I wondered if it was for
"everything else," then how would AIX specific flags cover for it.

> Look, we can talk history as much as you want, but I suggest we drop
> that matter, leave do_aix-shared in 0.9.7 as it is (except for
> variable values that need to be tweaked) and work on Makefile.shared
> for 0.9.8, yes?

OK. As for .exp. If we choose to keep it, I'd at least move
-bE:lib$$i.exp inside the rule, next to nm, e.g.:

( nm -Pg lib$$i.o | grep ' [BD] ' | cut -f1 -d' ' > lib$$i.exp && \
SHAREDFLAGS="${SHAREDFLAGS} -bE:lib$$i.exp && "

or something similar.

> rt> > -bautoexp?  How long has that thing existed?
> rt>
> rt> Manual says since 4.2. aix43-cc implies 4.3, doesn't it?
>
> Ah, good, I must have missed it back when I had access to an AIX
> system and it's manuals...

I have no access to AIX system. As for manual pages, google pointed out
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/cgi-dtc/manpage.cgi. A.