Hi,

> >>I've just tried compiling OpenSSL-0.9.8a for HPPA64 architecture
> >>(using gcc-4.1) and 'make test' ends with

> >>Any known remedy? E.g. compiling specific files with lower
> >>optimiation level?
> >

> > Hm, replacing "-O3" by "-O0" for that platform in Configure and
> > rerunning Configure ng with an "no-asm" and rebuilding every-
> > thing didn't have any success either. Any suggestions?
>
> Has using a different compiler been suggested already?

Any suggestions for the newest gcc that's known to work? 3.4.5?

I'm using one of HP's "Testdrive" machines for building, so I suppose
building several compilers wouldn't be appreciated too much, especially
since the 4.1.0 that's causing the problem has been installed on our
request that we need a compiler for the 64-bit flavour ...
(though, luckily, the version was their choice, not ours, so I don't
 feel completely stupid. ;-) )

> might it be possible to tusc trace that specific test?

Sorry? I didn't quite understand that one. Could you explain in more
detail what you have in mind?
Anyway, I've tried to have a look with gdb, but apparently that was a
32-bit version only and didn't give anything meaningful.

Also Peter Waltenberg suggested:

> make sure you got "Configure" right first time. If you configure for the
> wrong wordlength it won't get fixed by make clean.

Yes, that's a lesson I learned on AIX half a year ago... ;-)

> rm the directory and untar from scratch is the most reliable fix,

I did. Several times, actually, even when just changing from -O3 to -O0.

      Thanks,
                Stefan