Hey,

I need some help understanding the EXTENSION ASN.1 type.  I haven't
been able to find ANY information on how it works and what it
corresponds to in ASN.1 1988 syntax, and it's quite possible I'm
getting so tired that my eyes are crossing, rendering me virtually
dyslectic...

Anyhow, in X.509, the extension for the targets attribute in attribute
certificates is coded like this:

    targetingInformation EXTENSION ::= {
          SYNTAX            SEQUENCE SIZE (1..MAX) OF Targets
          IDENTIFIED BY     id-ce-targetInformation }
    Targets     ::=    SEQUENCE SIZE (1..MAX) OF Target
    Target      ::=    CHOICE {
          targetName        [0]      GeneralName,
          targetGroup       [1]      GeneralName,
          targetCert        [2]      TargetCert }
    TargetCert ::=     SEQUENCE {
          targetCertificate IssuerSerial,
          targetName        GeneralName OPTIONAL,
          certDigestInfo    ObjectDigestInfo OPTIONAL }

I interpret that as the extension value being a
SEQUENCE OF SEQUENCE OF Target, but as I said, my understanding of the
EXTENSION type is nil, so I may be confused to the extreme.

However, the targetInformation type isn't defined at all in rfc 3281,
and if my interpretation above is correct, doesns't that constitute an
incompatibility of this extension?

If anyone can point me at a correct and understandable definition of
the EXTENSION type, I'd be extremely happy.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

Richard Levitte                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis