On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM, Salz, Rich <rs...@akamai.com> wrote:
>>  I write fixes for pieces of software that I depend on. Some time ago, I
>> sent a
>> diff for OpenSSL.
>
> Great, thanks.
>
>> If I'm interested in fixing OpenSSL, why shouldn't I have access to coverity
>> scans ?
>>
>> Other Open Source projects have provided me access to their coverity scans,
>> despite the fact that I'm not a committer.
>
> There are security concerns. For example, the recent heartbleed vulnerability
> exposed long-term private keys, and user password and all sorts of stuff.
> This makes OpenSSL software different from something like a packet dump or
> mail reader. I don't know what the scans say, and I understand your
> disappointment, but we really need to be careful about making vulnerability
> scans generally available. And then there is the question of where we draw
> the line.  I am all in favor of responsible disclosure, but unfortunately the
> bad guys -- who, yes, may already have coverity or other scans -- are
> interested as well.

I reported a vulnerability to FreeBSD (See:
http://www.freebsd.org/security/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-13:12.ifioctl.asc)
by going through responsible disclosure process.

Are you implying that I'm part of the bad guys ?

I'm not asking for the scan results to be made public, but simply
asking for my request not to be left "pending" on my coverity
dashboard, as a contributor.