On Tue, 2017-01-03 at 16:11 -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 02:52:43PM -0800, James Bottomley wrote:
> > This patch adds RSA signing for TPM2 keys.  There's a limitation to
> > the way TPM2 does signing: it must recognise the OID for the
> > signature.  That fails for the MD5-SHA1 signatures of the TLS/SSL
> > certificate verification protocol, so I'm using RSA_Decrypt for
> > both signing (encryption) and decryption ... meaning that this only
> > works with TPM decryption keys.  It is possible to use the prior
> > code, which preserved the distinction of signing and decryption
> > keys, but only at the expense of not being able to support SSL or
> > TLS lower than 1.2
>
> [Note, I haven't looked closely at TPM2, but TPM1.2 has a concept of
>  key usage, and I assume that is carried over in the below comments]

The TPM1.2 all uses the correct signing functions, the problem is only
with 2.0.

> I think it is very important to natively support the sign-only key
> usage restriction. TPM1.2 goes so far as to declare keys that can be
> used for arbitary decrypt as 'legacy do not use'.
>
> IMHO the best way to do this is to look at the sign operation openssl
> is trying to do and see if it can be sent down the sign path to the
> TPM. Only if that fails should the decrypt path be used.

The problem is the MD5-SHA1 signature of SSL and TLS < v1.2.   This
cannot be performed by the TPM because it's not listed as a supported
signature, so the choice is either to deprecate these protocols (not
really viable since they're in wide use in old websites) or use decrypt
to do the signatures.  Once we get to the point of having to use
decrypt, there's no reason to preserve the signing distinction since we
never know when a key will be used to decrypt or sign.

Note that google took an alternative approach and modified their TSS to
work with a MD5-SHA1 signature:

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/#/c/420811/

But this requires a modification to the TPM as well, which we can't do.

> For TPM1.2 you could create a sign-only key with the
> TPM_SS_RSASSAPKCS1v15_DER mode and feed it arbitary NIDs - the TPM
> did not check the data to sign, AFAIK.
>
> Ideally the user should be able to setup a sign-only key and the
> correct SSL negotiation parameters and have a working system, eg a
> sign-only key used with TLS 1.3 and ephemeral keyx should work.
>
> > +   /* this is slightly paradoxical that we're doing a Decrypt
> > +    * operation: the only material difference between decrypt
> > and
> > +    * encrypt is where the padding is applied or checked, so
> > if
> > +    * you apply your own padding up to the RSA block size and
> > use
> > +    * TPM_ALG_NULL, which means no padding check, a decrypt
> > +    * operation effectively becomes an encrypt */
>
> IIRC this duality is exactly why key usage exists, and why good
> crypto practice has been to forbid decrypt/encrypt on the same key.

Given the signature restrictions, TPM 2.0 just can't be made to work
with the older SSL/TLS protocols, so I'm opting to keep compatibility
and not benefit from the distinction between signing and decryption
keys.

James