Hi Richard,

Richard Levitte wrote:
Hi,

I've some ponderings that I need to bounce a bit with you all.

Some have talked about replace the X509_LOOKUP_METHOD
X.509 lookup method could return certificate , revocation list or EVP_KEY (structure x509_object_st).

Unfortunately   functionality of EVP_KEY was never implemented.
Another point is specific names of structures - x509_lookup_method_st , x509_lookup_st, x509_object_st. Third point is quite specific implementation - functions not just to retrieve objects( X.509 or CRL) but to fill them into "context of X509 store".

Current lookup functionality look like "store" but implementation is specific to X.509 store.

bit with the
STORE module I'm building, and while STORE isn't ready for it yet

I hope that you store functionality will fill gap between load of keys and load of certificates (+crl).

Loadable module (engine) has interface to load key(private or public) but lack load of X.509 certificates or CRL.

, I
have some thoughts on how the two can approach each other.  This would
involve one or two hooks / callbacks, that a STORE user could specify
(details later) to pick and choose freely among the objects that the
STORE module finds (be it on file or whatever else that can be
represented as a URI).
I think that functionality requires three phases :
1) instantiation : at this point store is created
2) specification (optional): set or check capability of store. For instance store could return only X.509 certificates or to request store to return only keys.
3) inquiry: fetch data based on specified criteria.

The troublesome part would be to try to mimic by_dir...  It highly
depends on the specified paths to really be directories, and that it
should find what it wants by adding very specific file names (a hash
of the subject name with a ".{n}" or ".r{n}" extension for X.509 certs
and for X.509 CRLs).  And sure, that works, but will really only work
with regular files.
I'm not sure what is issue.

Lets see X.509 lookup method get_by_subject.

- by_dir
2) specification : set directory(path), limit results to X.509 or CRL and may be to inform store that questions will be performed by subject.

For instance URI scheme could befile://path?certificate="name"

3) query : from subject calculate hash and then process "{hash}.{n}" or "{hash}.r{n}" depending from URI

- Ldap
It is similar, URI is described in RFCs - at point 2) set host, port, base
distinguished name, attribute (for instance cACertificate), construct filter
from specified name.

What if someone would specify a LDAP URI that can return a bunch of
objects?

So...  my ponderings are going along these lines:

1. Should the directory X509_LOOKUPs be restricted to on disk
    directories, or should "directory" be redefined as "whatever URI
    that returns a collection of objects"?  The latter would mean that
    all those objects get loaded and that a hook / callback would then
    be called to check if it's an object that corresponds to what we
    search for.
I think that replacement of "by_dir" lookup has to be restricted to file system operation.
Files could be located on network, memory not only on disk.

2. For on disk directories, should we preserve the rehash file form?
    In other words, if we decide to load everything we can find, shall
    we restrict the loading to files matching the regexp
    [0-9a-f]{8}\.r?[0-9]+  ?  If not, are we about to create a new form
    of key store for ourselves and our users?  Should we?

For hash-dir please keep current file name format.

Quite a lot also depends on what OpenSSL version we aim for.  I would
very much like to see the STORE module itself become part of 1.1.1,
but a new key store to replace our current rehash links will obviously
have to wait 'til 1.2.0.

Cheers,
Richard

Roumen