> I think we can get away with using OS-provided randomness directly in many
> common cases.  /dev/urandom suffices once we know that the kernel RNG has
> been properly seeded.  On FreeBSD, /dev/urandom blocks until the kernel RNG
> is seeded; on other systems maybe we have to make one read from /dev/random
> to get the blocking behavior we want before switching to /dev/urandom for
> bulk reads.

It's not a question of "get away with."

If the O/S libraries provides random bytes, like CryptGenRandom in windows or
arc4random() then we should just wrap those functions and use them by default.
If the O/S kernel provides random bytes, then we should use those bytes to seed
(and to reseed) for a DRBG generator.

We should allow applications to save/restore state, such as on reboot.