On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 12:24:18PM -0600, Jay Johnston wrote:
> The problem is that my PHP script can't negotiate the key exchange for
> the SSL!

Your PHP script needs to speak client-side HTTPS to the server you're
scraping from.

> MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION: Will OPEN SSL allow my PHP script to
> authenticate an SSL connection to a secure server  that is hosting the
> web-based directories and thusly return the HTML so I can query it for a
> string I am looking for?

Show me the money! ;-)

Yes, OpenSSL will allow, but indirectly: You are looking for PHP Curl.
Curl uses OpenSSL to do its SSL thingy.

www.php.net/curl:

"PHP supports libcurl, a library created by Daniel Stenberg, that allows
you to connect and communicate to many different types of servers with many
different types of protocols. libcurl currently supports the http, https,
ftp, gopher, telnet, dict, file, and ldap protocols. libcurl also supports
HTTPS certificates, HTTP POST, HTTP PUT, FTP uploading (this can also be
done with PHP's ftp extension), HTTP form based upload, proxies, cookies,
and user+password authentication."

HTH.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>