On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 11:47:43AM -0600, Scott Lamb wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2004, at 9:55 AM, Rich Salz wrote:
>
> >> I think I misunderstood that question.  I honestly don't know what we
> >> would lose.  Maybe a sense of openness.
> >
> > In the past -- at least, say, 2-3 years ago -- we had a couple of
> > anonymous posters who made very worthwhile contributions.  Haven't
> > seen that recently.  Also, it used to be in the spirit of crypto
> > open source (cypherpunkcs, etc) to allow anon posting because
> > of the whoele ethos thing.
>
> I think there's a huge distinction to be made between disallowing
> anonymous posting and disallowing non-moderated posting by non-members.
> You can easily register a hotmail account or whatever and join the
> mailing list anonymously. In fact, anonymity has _nothing_ to do with
> whether you are a member of the mailing list or not.

a hotmail account might be considered a handy tool but it hardly could be
regarded as anonymous.

Please take a look at mixmaster.sf.net (the tool)
and network of remailers running around. There was mixmaster protocol
ietf draft published recently

It is not quite clear whether there's a chance to both accept mail from
remailers and kill the junk

regards,
Vadim