[SNIP]
>> However this looks like the key is encrypted with 3DES, but I "exported" it
>> from the Cert+Key with "-aes256" - so I'm puzzled why I'd have a 3DES
>> encrypted p12.

DT> You thought you did but you didn't.

DT> The doc is a bit subtle, but the -$cipher option is listed under "PARSING".
DT> It applies when *reading* a PKCS#12 and extracting the cert(s) and key(s?)
DT> to separate files or sections, for (most) other OpenSSL operations, and
DT> specifically to encrypting the extracted privatekey section.

DT> To specify the PBE algorithm for the key when exporting *to PKCS12*,
DT> use -keypbe, as listed on the man page under "EXPORTING".

DT> And yes, it isn't very helpful that commandline doesn't warn when you
DT> specify a combination of options that doesn't make sense. This is true
DT> for most of the commandline functions historically, although a few that
DT> have been (re)written recently are better.

Ah, that makes sense. A little quibble - not with the answer but with the way
the command line tool works. I probably paid less attention to the man page
than I should have since it *looked* like in the pkcs12 utility "-aes256" was
just like "-v2 aes256" in the pkcs8 utility - but as you state, it's not.

As stated, the switch in one is an "input" to the cypher, but an "output" for
the other. Gack! [It's probably too late to do something different in the
PKCS12 tool, but changing the way the switches work to make the two sub-tools
operate in a more consistent way might be a good goal.]

I'd guess that, even if I had read the manpage more carefully, I'd never have
reached the conclusion that -aes256 wasn't going to do what I wanted. [To me,
it was just "obvious" what it did, and I would have never questioned that
assumption even though it was obvious it wasn't working like I thought and I
was "obviously" wrong!]

This was the last piece I needed - I can put this thing to bed now.
Thanks again to all for all your great help!

-Greg