On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 14:44 +0100, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> > Let's look what can be done for ntp - and later look at other
> > services.  Note the ntp service is also usefull for machines without
> > network (serial DCF77 clock).  Right now the dispatcher script sends a
> > signal to ntp if the IP address changes but during boot ntp starts
> > even if network is not running.
> >
> > Suggestion: ntp start script should figure out if NetworkManager is
> > running and if it is only start if network is up - otherwise the
> > dispatcher script will start it.
>
> At home my ntpd starts up with no servers defined and the ip-up
> script adds time servers via ntpdc IIRC. Requires that the local
> clock is sufficiently exact though. I'm not sure if there is a way
> to remove time servers from a running ntpd again though.
>
> > Dial-in support for NetworkManager to support ISDN, Modem, UMTS, 3G
> > cards is beeing worked on and should be ready for openSUSE 10.3.
>
> Whatever that means. Does it use existing config files as created by
> yast?

Potentially, just as we can use yast info for wireless and wired configs
now, however the upstream implementation will not do this by default of
course, it will have its own PPP config UI.  How much knowledge we can
extract from yast to implement the upstream config is an open question.

Longer term however, I think the approach is almost definitely to use NM
everywhere (of course it needs a lot of work to get there for things
like static routes, multiple interfaces at the same time etc, but when
discussed with the Mobile and Server teams several months ago there was
general agreement on this direction).

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>