Agreed. While I'm not a regular WW user these days due to circumstances
beyond my control (and I use Velocity with WW rather that JSP anyway), I
still try to keep abreast of WW's progress. From what I've read of this
debate, one thing is readily apparent. The existing property tag is *not*
intuitive. To quote an earlier comment from Mike:

"Well, I actually wrote the original two uses of the PropertyTag (which you
are correct - is in fact 3, would you believe I didn't know about the third
one? ;))"

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am sure that Mike uses WW extensively, and has
been doing so for quite some time. If even he didn't know all the subtleties
of that tag, what chance does a newbie have? Documentation alone isn't the
best solution - docs plus intuitive design is. Has anyone here ever tried to
use all the various permutations of the struts <html:select> tag for
iteration? There is a lot of documentation for that tag, and I've been using
it for quite some time now. But almost without fail I still have to either
cut'n'paste existing code, or refer to the documentation to get the damn
thing working each and every time!

I haven't looked at the replacement tags Anders has submitted so I can't
comment on whether those are 'better' or not, but I would encourage everyone
in this debate to think about what the taglib should look like in a perfect
world, ie *without regard for what currently exists*. THAT should then
become the goal for XWork 2.0. Obviously backwards compatibility is crucial,
but deprecation can take care of that if need be.

Chris

"Jason Carreira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
Yeah, not like the current ever-so-transparent ww:property tag that everyone
just understands without any explanation.