On Saturday, January 11, 2003, at 03:29 AM, Rickard Öberg wrote:

This is a very difficult question. Separating it from the javax.servlet API should be possible, but overall I have the feeling that trying to make a *too* generic solution might be crippling.

A little poll:
*) How many have actions that are used with more than one kind of dispatcher?
*) How many are using WebWork in Swing apps?
*) How many are using WebWork for RPC style stuff? (the ClientServletDispatcher and friends)

I don't use any of those and am quite unlikely to eve ruse them. Reason: I use app clients. webwork/xwork to me is ALL about being web only, and its role is to handle view related stuff and marshall things for the backend. EJBs do all the actual 'meat'. Appclients for me provide a far greater degree of separation, as if I went with the webwork framework for my swing clients, due to the possibility of wildly different UI's, I suspect I'd end up having to add a whole bunch of special chains/collections of actions for the appclients to use.

I strongly suspect that swing/non web usage makes up 1% or less of all the users. Lets not make this unpleasant for the silent majority just to win a marketing line or two or some coolness points by saying 'we have nothing to do with the web!'. xwork should be targeted at the web, and should make the life of web developers a lot more pleasant and fun. It should NOT enforce that though and should work well outside of it, but web people should definitely be the main target audience.