I got a job doing web site design while I was in college... We started
doing Cold Fusion web app development in '95, so I learned SQL and web
app development... Around '98 I got bored with CF and started teaching
myself Java and OO (I'd done some OO w/ C++ in college when I was a
Physics major, but that's another story)...

This is why I laugh at job postings requiring a BS in Comp Sci or even a
Masters/PhD in CS. A lot of the really good people in this industry I've
met came from other disciplines and got into this because they really
enjoy it. I know a lot of people with degrees in CS who either don't
like the work or just put in their 40 hrs/week and go home.