I note that the schema directory says "developers only". However, its a
bit sad that we can't make applications that are already in the package
list have a form that fits (e.g. the right icon for OpenOffice and the
ability to specify what we want to open). Is it really the case that we
(users) can't create an xml file that matches one of the applications
that isn't yet handled?

Also, am I jumping to the wrong conclusion in thinking that the .sfs
files are using the sfs technology described at
http://code.google.com/p/sfs-technology/? If so, is it possible for
non-developers to re-package Ubuntu packages using the toolset there? I
ask because the OpenOffice version currently in OTC is quite old, and
I'd prefer LibreOffice.