No problem,

Additionally to the following HowTo this has to be mentioned:

-          Open NTP (UDP Port 123) for your clients in your firewall

-          Management server must be reachable via TCP Port 10389 from your
clients

-          Storage space used after sync is about 600 Mbytes (base image with
default packages)

HowTo...

__  __    _    ____ _____ _____ ____
|  \/  |  / \  / ___|_   _| ____|  _ \
| |\/| | / _ \ \___ \ | | |  _| | |_) |
| |  | |/ ___ \ ___) || | | |___|  _ <
|_|  |_/_/   \_\____/ |_| |_____|_| \_\

Setup:

- normal ubuntu 12.04 server
- Orcale Java and openthinclient
- nothing special

Config:

# IF YOU REALLY WANT THIS (i didn't so),
# disable strict hostkey checking, to avoid the manual host key accept for each
pxe-server
# /root/.ssh/config
      Host *
    StrictHostKeyChecking no
    UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null
      LogLevel ERROR

# the config file for the syncer
    root@master:/usr/local/sbin# cat /etc/openthinclient-sync
    SLAVES="ein-slave second.one third.one"

Scripts and important files:

# the tftp template to be synced to all pxe-servers
# IF YOU CHANGE THE PASSWORD FOR THE USER roPrincipal YOU HAVE TO CHANGE IT IN
THIS FILE TOO
#

root@master:/opt/openthinclient/server/default/data/nfs/root/tftp/pxelinux.cfg#
cat default.tmpl
      DEFAULT openthinclient

      LABEL openthinclient
          KERNEL vmlinuz
          APPEND initrd=initrd.img
nfsroot=_NFS_SERVER_:/opt/openthinclient/server/default/data/nfs/root
nfshome=:RAM:
ldapurl=ldap://_LDAP_SERVER_:10389/ou%3Dopenthinclient%2Cdc%3Dopenthinclient%2Cdc%3Dorg????bindname=cn%3DroPrincipal%2Cou%3DRealmConfiguration%2Cou%3Dopenthinclient%2Cdc%3Dopenthinclient%2Cdc%3Dorg,X-BINDPW=c2VjcmV0
 ro max_loop=256 vga=0x317 BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz
          IPAPPEND 1

# syncer script
      root@master:/usr/local/sbin/otc-sync-slaves.sh
      #!/bin/bash

      # source config
      . /etc/openthinclient-sync

      cd /opt/openthinclient/server/default/data/nfs/root/
      for slave in $SLAVES; do
      # sync the slave
      echo "Syncing $slave"
      rsync -pravHx --delete \
          --exclude="/etc/" \
          --exclude="/var/" \
          --exclude="/deploy/" \
          --exclude="/ldif/" \
          --exclude="/schema/" \
          /opt/openthinclient/server/default/data/nfs/root/ \
          $slave:/opt/openthinclient/server/default/data/nfs/root/

      # trigger generation of ..../pxelinux.cfg/default on the slave
      ssh $slave /etc/rc.local
      done

      _         ____  _        ___     _______
  ___(_)_ __   / ___|| |      / \ \   / / ____|
 / _ \ | '_ \  \___ \| |     / _ \ \ / /|  _|
|  __/ | | | |  ___) | |___ / ___ \ V / | |___
 \___|_|_| |_| |____/|_____/_/   \_\_/  |_____|

Setup, if you do it by hand:

- normal ubuntu 12.04 server
- apt-get install atftpd nfs-kernel-server

- login via ssh from the master once and accept to hostkey
- place masters public key in the authorized hosts file of the slave

# make the directories once
      root@ein-slave:~# mkdir -p
/opt/openthinclient/server/default/data/nfs/root/

Configs:

# Add the servers name or ip to the list of slaves on the MASTER! Edit
/etc/openthinclient-sync there

# enable remote loging, add the following lines at the end of /etc/rsyslog.conf
      root@ein-slave:~# tail -n 6 /etc/rsyslog.conf
      # Begin - Allow remote logging
      $ModLoad imudp.so
      $UDPServerRun 514
      # End - Allow remote logging

# configure atftpd - /opt/openthinclient/server/default/data/nfs/root/tftp
# keep in mind to set "--port 69", otherwise the daemon will not start (BUG)
      root@ein-slave:~# cat /etc/default/atftpd
      USE_INETD=false
      OPTIONS="--tftpd-timeout 300 --port 69 --retry-timeout 5 --mcast-port
1758 --mcast-addr 239.239.239.0-255 --mcast-ttl 1 --maxthread 100 --verbose=5
/opt/openthinclient/server/default/data/nfs/root/tftp"

# configure the nfs-server, add the following linde at the end of /etc/exports
      root@ein-slave:~# tail -n 1 /etc/exports
      /opt/openthinclient/server/default/data/nfs/root
*(ro,async,no_subtree_check)

# add /usr/local/sbin/otc-update-pxelinux to /etc/rc.local
      root@ein-slave:/usr/local/sbin# tail -n 2 /etc/rc.local
      /usr/local/sbin/otc-update-pxelinux
      exit 0

Scripts:

# place otc-update-pxelinux in /usr/local/sbin/
      root@ein-slave:/usr/local/sbin# cat otc-update-pxelinux
      #!/bin/bash

      MY_IP=`ip -4 -o addr show eth0 | awk -F"[/, ]" '{print $7}'`
      LDAP_SERVER="172.18.49.16"

TEMPLATE="/opt/openthinclient/server/default/data/nfs/root/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/default.tmpl"

FILE="/opt/openthinclient/server/default/data/nfs/root/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/default"
      sed "s/_NFS_SERVER_/$MY_IP/g; s/_LDAP_SERVER_/$LDAP_SERVER/g" $TEMPLATE >
$FILE

Start the engine!

      root@ein-slave:~# /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
      * Stopping NFS kernel daemon
                         [ OK ]
      * Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...
                         [ OK ]
      * Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...
                         [ OK ]
      * Starting NFS kernel daemon
                         [ OK ]
      root@ein-slave:~# /etc/init.d/atftpd restart
      Restarting Advanced TFTP server: atftpd.

  __                  _   _                   _ _ _
 / _|_   _ _ __   ___| |_(_) ___  _ __   __ _| (_) |_ _   _
| |_| | | | '_ \ / __| __| |/ _ \| '_ \ / _` | | | __| | | |
|  _| |_| | | | | (__| |_| | (_) | | | | (_| | | | |_| |_| |
|_|  \__,_|_| |_|\___|\__|_|\___/|_| |_|\__,_|_|_|\__|\__, |
                                                      |___/

generally:

The master syncs all needed files to the pxe slaves. This is done in
otc-sync-slaves.sh. In the same script the master
triggers the creation of the default tftp-bootfile on all the pxe slaves
(branches. A template is used to do so. This template is
synced from the master also.

important

- Please don't change the IP of the master (master), or change it in all
instances of otc-update-pxelinux also.
- Setup a location for every new branch according to the one for NY.
- Keep in mind, that the password for the user roPrincipal is a part of the
tftp-template. Edit this file if you chhange the password.
- Actually we don't use home nfs directories. Home directories are hold in the
RAM and will be lost on client restart.

Herzliche Grüße / Best Regards

[cid:image001.png@01CE3C27.DC2C3980]

Ritter Technologie GmbH
Maik Lumler
Essener Straße 2-24
D-46047 Oberhausen

Mail: maik.lum...@rittec.de<mailto:maik.lum...@rittec.de>
Fon: +49 208 85 96 272
Fax: +49 208 85 96 961
Web: http://www.ritter-technologie.com<http://www.ritter-technologie.com/>

Geschäftsführer: Julius Sobizack, Uwe Rücker
Sitz Oberhausen, Amtsgericht Duisburg, HRB 12882
USt-Id-Nr. DE 180317162
P Save Paper - Do you really need to print this e-mail?