Am 15.10.2016 um 12:11 schrieb David Sommerseth:
> b) Have the package exclude each other to block both being installed
>    at the same time.

That's the path normally chosen and that I'd recommend for DEB/APT-based
packages because solvers can usually figure that part out. I think the
RPM world needs some support from the dependency solvers, too. Not sure
what dnf is up to these days, but it - as its predecessor yum - seemed
to do the right thing for the limited exposure I gave them in my Fedora
installations, and I stopped caring about other RPM-based distros years ago.