> I disagree because that would create an unwanted relationship between
> ipkg and sysupgrade and also will result in having old configuration
> files if new versions of packages also have updated
> configuration files.

Why would you not want such a relationship.  [io]pkg's conffiles are
meant to solve the exact same problem of upgrading packages without
messing up the package's configuration.

So if the conffile info you get from [io]pkg isn't right for sysupgrade
it won't be right for [io]pkg either (and vice versa).

As for handling conflicts between user changes and package changes to
conffiles, this problem is also faced by [io]pkg, and I see no reason
why sysupgrade can't use the same solution(s).

        Stefan