On the contrary I'd prefer if it doesn't. Nettle is an open project
under LGPL that anyone can contribute and can be reused by a variety
of software; polarssl is closed commercial project under a commercial
license with a GPLv2 exception.
Oh well, I sometimes have the feeling if its open-source + backed by a company there is more interest in avoiding another case of heartbleed or similar but I guess we will see about that. Companies are not necessarily evil. Plus nobody said anything about dropping nettle support. Maybe just a little abstraction layer for the crypto stuff would be useful so that other libraries can be used. Heck maybe even add openssl support. That is 10x bigger but still 100x more reusable in terms of other daemons but not necessarily a candidate for default builds either.

Also I would probably let all the DNSSEC deployment and the dnsmasq
implementation mature a bit more before considering to enable it by default
for everyone. But thats just my personal opinion.
Well, it will never mature if it is not distributed :)
Well, you are not the one getting all the bugreports about mysterious DNS disfunction with certain zones then :P

Anyway personally I would like to at least have prepackaged dnssec support ready for installation so people don't have to compile themselves thats one step closer to general adoption than just having a buildoption somewhere deep down in menuconfig. Once Andre sends his next batch of patches we can think about merging it, but that would mean I would have to move nettle to the core repo and adopt it myself since we don't want to have dependencies from core to any of the feeds.

Cheers,

Steven